In honor of Women’s History Month, I thought I’d share the ways I get through the pain and rage when Aunt Flo visits, so even you can want to be around you. Now fellas, I know you’re like ”I’m clearly at the wrong website, ” but there’s some tips for you on how to bare with your girl while y’all are out of commission for that week. So what is it? PMS is a mix of physical and emotional symptoms that us ladies get after ovulation and before the start of their menstrual period.
1. Exercise or do some sort of physical activity. I opt for yoga because it’s easier on my bidy, but you can go a little harder and it can actually help you feel better faster. A recent study in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology found that women who hopped on a treadmill three times a week for three months reported fewer PMS symptoms.
2. Lay off the junk food even though you have cravings. This one is hard on me because my appetite is almost unbearable during that time of the month. However, choosing veggies and low fats is actually associated with shorter, less intense PMS, according to a study in the journal Obstetrics & Gynecology.
3. Craving chocolate is normal, but try for dark chocolate when you need to satisfy that sweet tooth. It’ll boost your mood, so you’re not a total bitch. My favorite treat during this time are Bark Thins. Fellas this tip is for you btw!
4. Vent to a friend. Not only am I extremely emotional about God knows what, I’m irritable around that time of month. Texting or calling your girlfriend or boyfriend will make you feel better. Studies have shown that venting actually helps release stress. So fellas, even if it’s not that deep, get into it and listen.
5. During PMS, insomnia is at an all-time high and I fight it with short “power naps” to increase my productivity and well-being at that time of the month. For night time, a trick my mother suggested is a little aroma therapy by using lavender oils from my diffuser.
Ladies PMS is shitty and it can affect work, school, and even your relationships if you’re not prepared for it. Try these tips and comment your own!